Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics
Dept. of Biopharmaceutical Sciences
College of Pharmacy
PhD Pharmaceutics, UTHSC, Memphis.
B. Pharmacy, Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad, India
PHAR 520 -Pharmaceutics I: Drug Delivery and Calculations
PHAR 521 -Pharmaceutics II: Drug Delivery
Drug delivery /Therapeutic gene delivery.
Gene therapy is an approach that uses genes to treat or prevent disease either by over expressing a functional gene/protein which ahs been inhibited or by knocking out orsilencing the expression of an aberrant gene/protein. This technique may allow doctors to treat a disorder by inserting a gene into a patient’s cells instead of using drugs or surgery. Gene therapy in spite of being a promising option for treating number of diseases including cancer and certain chronic metabolic disorders still has some concerns related to immunogenicity. We would like to develop novel gene delivery systems by using the combination of drug delivery systems that are safe and efficacious.
- Panakanti R, Narang AS. Impact of Excipient Interactions on Drug Bioavailability from Solid Dosage Forms. Pharm Res. 2012 May 19.
- Akshay Pratap, Saurabh Singh, Vaibhav Mundra, Ningning Yang, Ravikiran Panakanti, James Eason, and Ram Mahato. Attenuation of Early Liver Fibrosis by Pharmacological Inhibition of Smoothened Receptor Signaling (Under Review – Journal of Drug Targeting)
- Panakanti R, Akshay Pratap, Ningning Yang and Mahato RI (2010) Triplex Forming Oligonucleotides against Type α 1(I) Collagen attenuates Liver Fibrosis induced by Bile Duct ligation Biochemical Pharmacol: 80:1718-26
- Akshay Pratap, Panakanti R, Ningning Yang, James D. Eason, Ram I Mahato (2010) Inhibition of Endogenous Hedgehog Signaling Protects Against Acute Liver Injury after Ischemia Reperfusion Pharm Res: 27:2492-504
- Ningning Yang, Panakanti R and Mahato RI (2011) Treatment of Liver Fibrosis after Systemic Administration of M6P-HPMA-TFO. (submitted to Journal of Hepatology)
- Hao Wu, Panakanti R, Feng Li, and Ram I. Mahato (2010) XIAP Gene Expression Protects β-cells and Human Islets from Apoptotic Cell Death Mol Pharm :7: 1655-66
- Panakanti R and Mahato RI (2009) Bipartite vector encoding hVEGF and hIL-1Ra for ex vivo transduction into human islets. Mol Pharm6: 274-284.
- Panakanti R and Mahato RI (2009) Bipartite Adenoviral Vector encoding hHGF and hIL-1Ra for Improved Human Islet Transplantation. Pharm Res 26: 587-596.
- Panakanti R and Mahato RI (2009) Recent advances in gene expression and delivery systems. In: Narang AS and Mahato RI (eds) Targeted Delivery of Small and Macromolecular Drugs, CRC Press, Inc.
- Panakanti R and Mahato RI (2009) E1, E3 and E4 deleted Bipartite Adenoviral vector encoding hVEGF and hIL-1Ra for decreased immunogenicity and improved islet function. AAPS Annual Meeting. Received AAPS travel award.
- Mahato RI, Panakanti R, Li F and Cheng G (2009) Gene Delivery and Silencing for Improved Islet Transplantation, 14th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Drug Delivery Systems, in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Panakanti R, Cheng G and Mahato RI, (2009) Construction of bicistronic adenoviral vector encoding genes hHGF and hIL-1Ra for islet transplantation. AAPS Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- Panakanti R, Cheng G and Mahato RI (2008) Bicistronic Adenoviral vector encoding hVEGF and hIL-1Ra for improving islet Transplantation. 11th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene Therapy, Boston, MA
- Li F, Panakanti R and Mahato RI (2007) Gene Expression and Silencing for Successful Islet Transplantation. 10th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene Therapy, Seattle, WA
- Amusa S. Adebayo, Ravikiran Panakanti, Ruth Adewuya and Moji C. Adeyeye, (2012) Improvement of PharmD students’ performance in a Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics Course using simulation software, AACP Annual Meeting, Kissimmee, FL.